Wednesday, May 12, 2010

Uganda!!!

Oliotiya! (hello)
I am safely in country. On my way here, I ran into London by myself for a day trip. I am a master of the tube. I am surprised at how easily I was able to navigate around London without a map or clue of what I was doing especially since I am still confused about the bus system in provo. I stumbled upon buckingham palace. It is so amazing in real life. I even got yelled at by a bobby. From there I went to Kenya. It is just like the Lion King. There were moths there the size of my hand. The airport there was nasty, but it was quite the experience. Kenya and Uganda look nothing alike. Kenya is more of a safari while Uganda is a tropical forest. We drive through a rain forest on the way to church. I have already eaten fried grasshoppers. It is apparently a special treat here. Our team has already made two adobe stoves. The children here love us and follow us everywhere yelling "myzungos myzungos" (white people white people). Everywhere I go, I have at least 2 children holding on to each one of my hands. My first day in country I drank black market contaminated water and got hit by a car, but it is ok because I am still alive. The water bottle had a small hole in the bottom that they drilled and then filled with dirty water and super glued shut. Pedestrians do not have the right away. Everywhere we walk, people stare. They absolutely love us, but the ones that are a bit too outgoing are the ones that you have to watch. They are looking to take advantage of you. I have already had someone try and steal my bag. Our first official restaurant meal was fish and chips. I was expecting cute little fish sticks, but instead they brought us out the whole fish. The eye balls are supposedly the best part. That is a lie. They are disgusting but the fins are pretty good. During our first stove building, we were stomping and mixing the clay with our bare feet and I got clay and cement on my face so I just made little smears under my eyes. Kisha (our construction leader) told me that I had dirt on my face. I said I know; I am a warrior. He looked confused and said that in their culture they put paint like that on little boys' faces when they are going to be circumsized. Oops. Also, the women and children kneel when they greet you as a sign of respect. Today, we toured Kowala Hospital. I got to see a live operation in the major theatre (operating room) and saw a woman's uterus being pulled out. I can't wait to really get to work at the hospital. I will even be helping giving birth. The country is beautiful and the people are even more wonderful. It is so green here, but it is also ridiculously humid. For the past week we haven't had running water and the electricity is only on half the time. When we have the chance to get water, we take bucket showers. I am really getting the third world experience. Since it is rainy season, it rains super hard at least once a day. All of the myzungos love it because it is a break from the heat, but all the ugandans run for shelter and wear huge jackets and parkas. At first, all the natives here stunk like BO really badly but now they are starting to smell fine. I attribute this to the fact that I haven't showered for 3 days so I stink also, and everything I touch sticks to me. The bugs here are insanely large, and the mosquitos are even bigger. Although, we were told that the mosquitos that carry malaria are the small ones. Good thing I have my bed net all set up. Here, my name is peggy. They do not understand paige or think that it is silly that I am named after a piece of paper. I have already developed a little bit of an ugandan accent. It makes it easier for the people to understand me. I have so much to tell but no time. I also have amazing pictures and videos but I will have to wait until America to post them.

5 comments:

  1. First, I am so happy you made it safe and sound.

    Uganda sounds pretty amazing. I am glad you did not die from the poisoned water, and I think the whole dirt-on-the-face thing is really funny.

    I miss you! Post as often as you can!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow, it sounds like you're having unforgettable experiences! Thanks for posting some of them, we can't wait to see your pictures!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Here's to mud in your eye and dirt on your face, bwahaha...only you my dear, but just in case they come after you with a knife be ready to wipe that off quick!!! Put money in your Wells Fargo account today. Also, Mike found site to host his pictures on while he was in Mexico, we'll have to see if it's something you could use too. And save me an anxiety attack, no more black market water, okay?

    ReplyDelete
  4. BAHH! This post was awesome and you are so brave and I'm so excited and I want to see PICTURES!!!
    I hope you're having fun and hopefully I'll see you soon.

    (Also, Paige's ideal world is one where people absolutely LOVE her. Things are as they should be. You totally deserve such love.)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wow Paige! Sounds so amazing already :) Can't wait for the next update!

    p.s. I told Dave my rock joke. He thought it was funny.

    ReplyDelete