Saturday, October 22, 2011

Southern Utah Get-away

Last weekend, I decided to explore the great world of southern Utah. It was glorious! I visited Bryce Canyon and Zions National Park, St. George, and a ghost town. I spent a couple days just hiking around and breaking in my chacos. I thoroughly enjoy exploring small towns in the middle of nowhere. The locals are always so friendly and tell you the best places to check out. I just might have to go back.


At Bryce Canyon National Park

Bryce Canyon

Bryce Canyon

Hiking at Bryce Canyon. The water was this brilliant gray blue against the orange/peach  rocks.




 On my way back, I stopped by an old silver mining town. The museum was slightly disappointing so I decided to take things into my own hands. I drove my car until the roads became too rocky and then set off across the desert with my back pack to find real silver mines.

 This is an old mill that they used to process the silver. I found an awesome metal gear here. It was about a foot and a half in diameter. At this point, I was several miles from my car and I tried rolling/lugging the gear across the desert, but unfortunately it was just too heavy.



This was right above the opening of a mine shaft.
One of the mine shafts.

The entrance to a cemetery. They had separate cemeteries for the Catholics and Protestants.



No comments:

Post a Comment